The internet is competitive with companies who follow the same boring formula over all of their social media accounts. Emerging from the pack can be challenging, but you don’t need a premium social media app to accomplish your goal. You simply have to be creative, consistent and have a strategy.
Having a strategy is like having a GPS, it gets you down the right road and keeps you there. Social media is a marketing outlet that you control entirely. You need to plan how to use it to the best advantage of your business.
- If you don’t have time to ride the social media rails yourself, choose a reliable employee who has excellent writing skills and a head full of ideas. Such a person will generate lively, pertinent content while keeping with your plans. A person who is social media savvy is a plus.
- Pick the right networks. You don’t need to be on every single social media site to have a large following. Take the time to research how your products and services can be marketed on each platform. Know your target audience and have a good understanding of the social channels they use.
- Decide how you want to represent your business and what you want to show on your page. Do you want to project a friendly persona? Or do you want to show yourself as strictly professional? Do you want to showcase your products through images and videos or just through content? Once you set up your social media personality, stick with it. You don’t want to keep changing how you present your business so as not to confuse customers.
Things move fast on the internet and followers can be fickle. You have about three seconds to capture their attention. Consistency keeps them interested and engaged. If you are posting every day at 3 pm, your followers are going to check your page every day at 3 pm to see what’s new. You don’t have to post every day. Posting once or twice a week will still attract your followers, but make sure you are posting at the same time on the same day every week. For example, post every Tuesday and Thursday at 10 am and do not deviate from those posting times. Always respond to followers as quickly as possible. This promotes interaction and engagement. When your followers know you will answer they come to trust you.
The more creative you are the more followers you will attract.
- Be yourself. Be genuine and transparent. Show information that is inspiring and makes you laugh.
- Use National Observance days as a tool to connect your products and promote your business. There are thousands of observance days from National Roller Coaster Day to Health Awareness Day. Take advantage of them and show your human side.
- Use the past to promote the future. Share photos, events, and achievements from the past.
- Get advice from your audience. Pose an industry-related question that sparks a conversation. Use a feedback tool.
- Post a poll, multiple images, live videos, recurring posts, events, weekly Q&A live streams. Create something that will keep your fans coming back.
- Demonstrate your expertise through how-to content. Make yourself the industry expert.
No matter what tools you use to lure in followers remember the number one reason people come back to a business is customer service. Always be gracious. Show your customers your appreciation through thank you videos or graphics, special discounts, or giveaways. Emerging from the pack on social media takes time and plenty of exciting ideas and if you have a strategy and are consistent you will be the leader of the pack.